Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ahh, the joys of parenting.....
As many of you know my wonderful little obnoxious 5 year old has had problems since she was born with bed time routine. Ok, her dad has. See he works late and wants to come home and just hold her but in the end-at 10 o'clock- I'm the one up fighting her to go to bed. It has been a battle between the three of us that would really get me upset at times. So when Billy came along, I put my foot down- 8 o'clock and he is in bed, his bed!! He has been wonderful, give him his binkie and mimi(blankie) and he lays down, might take him a bit to fall asleep but he does-ALL ON HIS OWN!!! It is possible, he even sleeps through the night- most of the time! Anyway, back to Ms. Olivia, last week I put a sticker chart on the fridge, for 2 weeks, if she goes to bed when I say, at 8:30, with no battle and stays there she gets a sticker the next day, and at the end of it all she gets a special prize. But if she messes up even one time, she has to start all over. And lo and behold- its working. Yes, I did try the chart idea before but I think its b/c of her age now and the fact that her and Billy go to bed together it helps. I also put lights on her bed b/c her cousin, Kyra, had that and she just loved it. I am so happy. I put them both down last night after baths and that was it, they went to sleep- its a miracle. And right on time with the other baby coming in June-its perfect. I can't express how happy it makes me, yes, I am easy to please but it has really been a battle. One that little brother was starting to catch on to so I am glad its over. She hasn't decided what her prize is yet- it will either be Disney on Ice or go to a movie and lunch with mommy. Still waiting for her to decide. I am just happy that it finally worked- but I wonder-where's my prize for working so hard for all these years to get this to happen. I guess it s the fact that it happened and I'm not up till 10:30 fighting with her anymore

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so funny! I am fortunate that my kids have pretty much always slept well, frankly it is for my own survival! The nice mom in me goes to bed at 8 or so, so if they are not in bed...they get the mean mom!! Now, if I could just get Courtlyn to stay asleep!! That girl is waking up like 1-3 times a night and if I dont get her, she SCREAMS!! (RJ is in the same room, so there is no crying it out!!) Anyway, if I go get her, sit on the couch with her for like 2 minutes, she is back to sleep, and will go back to bed! Ahh, I just wish they would all go to sleep, and STAY asleep!! If it is not one kid, it is another!!

Sarah W said...

Congrats on a baby coming in June! That's so exciting! 3 is the magic number...you'll want to shoot yourself in the head. Oh..I mean...you'll love it. Especially when all 3 are crying and screaming for you to hold them but you only have 2 arms so you are trying to hold one in each arm and push the 2 in your arms together to try and cuddle the third with their legs. It's awesome.

kristenharris said...

See.... I used to get made fun of for how strict I was with Carsons bedtime-- and yet, I never had a problem with his sleep. He still naps like an angel, and sleeps like an angel... but my next child will give me a battle, dont worry! Yall need to move down here, Im sick of this crap!